Monday, July 21, 2008

Island Life

You know how they say you never know someone until you spend a week with them on Nantucket? Well, I am sure someone says it. I have to tell you, it is so true. Let me tell you a few things that The Rose found out about me last week.

I am good for about two hours on the beach and then I am ready to go. I would be useless in a labyrinth. I won’t be going on a boat anytime soon. I am a good moped rider. I am willing to try any vodka – even habanera. I like ice cream. I am pretty good with an outdoor grill. There are limits to what I am willing to spend for things - $330.00 for sunglasses, get real! I have good friends and a very happy goddaughter. And the one thing I really hoped she learned this week is that I really care for her.

As for what I learned about her, well, she is a good fisherman. She would be very useful in a labyrinth. She also likes ice cream. She can cook anything and make it taste good. She is a trooper and will try to stick it out even if she should just say let’s go home. She can spend hours on the beach at a time. She is a good moped passenger. She thinks the Atlantic Ocean is cold. Believe me, these are all good things to know, since we have two more beach trips this summer planned.

As for Nantucket, I think we both agree that it was a good trip, but we would probably not choose to go back. Not that I have a problem with small, confining, overpriced islands filled with the over privileged. But I think you can have just as much fun getting a house at the beach on the cape itself. This would open up many day trip or excursion opportunities you can not get on the island.

Overall the vacation was great. There were a few bumps in the week, but I think we weathered them pretty well. Special thanks to T&K for being very good vacation buddies. It was also good to spend time with Baby Sam as she is really starting to grow and develop her personality. She couldn’t have been a better baby all week.

Oh and happy birthday to my mom. I hope you had a great day.

3 comments:

Kris said...

I am glad you guys had a wonderful time, and got the opportunity to learn a little more about one another. How about going to Oak Island?

cosmopolgirl said...

Just poppin in to say hello. Glad you and the rose had a great vaca! Enjoy the rest of your beach vacations

Unknown said...

Sounds like things are going really well for you guys :) We have a couple of those islands up here (as you probably know). The crowds and the price just don't make it worthwhile.